Friday, January 23, 2015

Class Related Response to : The Importance of Being Earnest


Reading The Importance of Being Earnest became easier to read as I continued to read it. At first I did not find anything funny about the book, but after a while I found that the book was actually quite enjoyable. Part of finding the funny in the book came from understanding the language and the time period, also knowing what was considered humor in that time period. Much of the humor in the book was dues ex machina, meaning that problems were randomly solved or that people randomly popped up in scenes to help move the play forward.

What I liked most about the play was that the language was more modern than the previous plays we have read in class. I also found it easy, after a while, to find the puns and other literary elements used in the book like allusion. After reading about to the second act, I understood the book more and was able to use what I found in the socratic seminar.

The socratic seminar was also essential in helping me understand the book because the discussion my classmates and I have help to enhance my reading experience by hearing other people's point of view, I begin to think of how I look at the novel differently. What I found most interesting about the discussion my class had during the socratic seminar was when we were talking about the conative meaning of Jack saying that he hates people who are not serious about their meals. When I read that part of the play for myself, I did not think that there was any connotative meaning. With the help of my classmates I was able to find out more about the book which is great.

No comments:

Post a Comment