Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Le Cœur Sombre

The phrase Le cœur somber means the dark heart in French. French is a language mostly spoken in the Congo, not because the origin of the language is in the Congo but because the Congo was once colonized by the French. I chose the title dark heart because the phrase relates to the book Heart of Darkness, which my class has started reading.  My teacher has informed me that the book will be very challenging, and honestly I hope it is. I have been looking for a book that causes me to think and challenge what I believe. When I think of the words Heart of Darkness, I think about a crumbling black heart gravitating in mid-air with pieces falling off of it like flakes of a fluffy biscuit, drifting to a fiery ground like dust. I think of an evil slender man whose close friends with Ebenezer scrooge, sitting with him facing a fireplace plotting their next diabolical plan as he tapped his wrinkly, long, old nose.

So far, the book has been pleasant, not meaning that the content of the book itself was calming of pleasuring, but meaning I have not had much trouble understanding what has been said so far in the book. Although, the discussion and clarification we have in class will be crucial to my overall understanding of the book.


Looking at this image from a real life depiction of what the book is about I can tell that the book will bring me to a place where I may have visited before in global or history class in general. It will be interesting to see what my class will focus on being that we will be observing the book from a literary point of view.

2 comments:

  1. I applaud your will to read books that are challenging because most people would just sit and complain. Honestly challenging isn't my style but you do need to be assertive to succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you think of our focus in class?

    ReplyDelete